POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Heteromf: is it a fractal? : Re: Heteromf: is it a fractal? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heteromf: is it a fractal?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 4 Jan 2001 09:31:08
Message: <3A5487CE.BC74CB31@my-dejanews.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> It *is* a fractal, though that may not be immediately obvious by the
> result, and to have infinite complexity would take an infinite amount of
> calculation time. That's a problem. :-)
> You could probably do what you want by increasing the octaves of the
> function as you zoom in. Similar to what you need to do in order to zoom
> far into a mandel pattern.

Thanks for taking the time to reply for my eclectic projects here and there,
but hopefully some may help spark ideas on how to further improve pov!

Actually, in my Mandel and Julia zooms, I needed an exhaustive color_map, but
*never* changed the pattern itself: only the camera angle changed in those
anims.  And I keep using the term "infinite complexity" because as I
understand it, the pure math behind the concept has detail literally, ad
infinitum--it's just these finite clunky PC's that limit us to a mere 12
orders of magnitude.  I once heard a precise definition of fractal as
something that has interesting detail at many orders of magnification.

I asked the question as I looked at the structures I'm making because I'm
beginning to doubt that it is fractal in the same sense or to the same degree
as the mandel.  Yes, I'm thinking I'd have to keep changing parameters as I
zoomed on on it.  If I have to do that, I may as well just change the scale
;-)